“We’ve let you down” says Winnipeg Health Authority after 7 COVID-19 deaths in 48 hours at care home
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority President and CEO Vickie Kaminski apologized and gave her condolences on Monday after 22 residents at the Maples Personal Care Home lost their lives, including seven in the last 48 hours, due to a COVID-19 outbreak. “You may have questions, concerns, fears that your loved one wasn’t well cared for in the last weeks, or days or hours of their life — again terrible tragedies — it must make it so much more difficult. I’m very sorry for all of you who’ve had to go through that,” she said.
Manitoba health officials now say Maples Personal Care Home was significantly understaffed when city paramedics and multiple ambulances were called in to help deal with the critical COVID-19-related health concerns of several residents Friday night.
Paramedics were first called to the Revera-owned private facility at 500 Mandalay Dr. around 7 p.m. and stayed for nearly seven hours, assessing at least 12 patients.
Two who died that night were part of a 48-hour span that saw seven COVID-19 deaths at the personal care home.
During an emergency press conference Saturday — called by the province after reports of the problems Friday were made public on social media — a spokesperson for Revera denied Maples had been understaffed.
For more info, please go to
Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE:
Like Global News on Facebook HERE:
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE:
Follow Global News on Instagram HERE:
#COVID-19 #GlobalNews #Coronavirus